Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ode to a kitty - July 5


Remembering you 
sunning on the patio
your last afternoon

Oh, our little cat!
We'll miss your furry softness.
Rest in peace, sweet boy

The lion in the stick jungle - May 2011... This past spring our silly cat climbed in among the various plant supports we had wintered over in the old wine barrel planter in the corner of the porch. There was barely room for him to be, yet he'd been sleeping there. 

And sleeping was a lot of what he did. The past few years, most of the photos I have are of him curled up sleeping. He especially liked the back of the small couch where I sit to read. 

Last year he began to take over the prayer shawl a friend gave me after my daughter died, so I decided he could have it. It made a nice little nest for him. 

 Calvin at his scruffy best this spring...


His last day was warm and sunny, and he spent a lot of time out on the patio, dozing in the sun. A quick nap in his favorite nesting spot on the back on my couch, and then a longer nap on my son's lap. His special food and snacks were right on time, he didn't let us forget. At 18 it was getting harder for him to groom. We combed him out last evening and he made his funny little motor purr. And I let him out last night, not knowing it would be the last time.

You were a joy in our lives and we thank you for that. We'll miss you, Calvin kitty.


This is as creative as I can be today, after burying our little old kitty.

8 comments:

Barbara Hagerty said...

My heart goes out to you! What a sweet kitty! XOXO

Jenny said...

Helen, I'm so sorry. I guess you found him. xo Jenny

Julie said...

Oh Helen. I am so sorry. I am just sitting here crying reading this and remembering the sound of his voice. Jason and Calvin were the "duo" and my heart hurts for him ... and for you. xoxo

Lindart said...

I am so sorry about your kitty. I have 2, and one is coming up to 15 years. She looks pretty scruffy, and like Calvin, sleeps an awful lot in particular places. Usually on the arm of one of my armchairs. We wonder every night when we go to bed if she will still be with us the next morning. You have good memories of Calvin, he looks like a wonderful kitty!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.

Art From The heart said...

So sorry........hugs

Anonymous said...

You have my utmost sympathy. I lost one elderly cat last year and her sister, at twenty, gets more feeble each day. I know exactly what you are feeling. They truly become members of our families.

Anonymous said...

Helen, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Calvin. I had a cat that looked just like Calvin. His name was Scooter. Same thing happened to me, I let him out and never saw him again. He did a lot of sleeping before he went away, and I knew in my heart it was his time. It's very sad to loose a pet. Hugs to you!
Rhonda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...