Thursday, October 23, 2014

Paper Quilt

Ah, the power of blogging and Google search. I had a random request from the Presbyterian Women Magazine for the use of this image that I posted on my blog in January 2012. They wanted to use it as part of the background in their Nov/Dec 2014 issue that focuses on Giving and Receiving Care. A bit of serendipity... considering I've been a caregiver for my developmentally disabled son for many years.  
This paper quilt was created in a class by Debi McManus-Plett in January 2012…. and it still isn't completed. There is a bit of decorative sewing I intended to finish and I didn't get back to it once I got home. I have found that if I don't finish artwork in class, I rarely finish it after. I'm odd that way. :) 

The "paper" is grunge board (Tim Holts/Ranger) embossed by running it through a die cut machine like the Sizzix Big Shot. We used layers of Distress Inks  by Ranger to color the grunge board. It all started out gray. Cool, isn't it, how the layers of colors work. Luckily, we were given all the pieces that fit within the 12 x 12 canvas board background so we just had to figure out our piecing and design our quilt. It was quite fun. I may have to revisit the technique again. 

And I just received the cover of the Presbyterian Women Issue. How fun to see my art used this way!




14 comments:

Marji said...

Love the idea of the quilt to incorporate so many fabulous pieces. The magazine cover looks marvelous. congrats.

Christine said...

Your art looks great on the cover!

Faye said...

Helen, this is one of the most interesting posts yet. I love the quilt and how it was used in the magazine.

Laila said...

Lovely art, and how fun to see it used like this. congrats.

Tracey FK said...

I love seeing it there on the page... it must be a huge thrill to see it. I think I would be carrying it around with me everywhere and "accidently"dropping it so people would pick it up for me and comment on how awesome it is .... because it is fabulous!!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely to see your art on the cover - congrats! Valerie

PaintingWrite said...

I'd never heard of a paper quilt-it looks lovely (is like that as an actual quilt-lovely colours! ) Congrats on the magazine cover-what a lovely way for your art to be used!

Netty said...

congratulations on your cover, so exciting. Love the paper quilt. Happy PPF Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

BLOGitse said...

Jiihuuu, congrats!
I can imagine how happy you feel....

my blog - > BLOGitse

Beth Niquette said...

Congratulations on the cover. I love your artwork. What a dear brave lady you are. God bless you.

My name is Erika. said...

That's a great colorful paper quilt you made.

Giggles said...

That's pretty exciting and looks marvelous on that front page! I am the same at not finishing a projects. Not sure why either!! Still your quilt art looks amazing!

Hugs Giggles

Unknown said...

congratulations! I've never seen this technique before. It looks great.

Ayala Art said...

That is so wonderful! Congrats!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...