Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What's in my Studio...

Working with torn paper again/still. I'm doing a demo at Stampadoodle on October 8th, and have several projects I want to show. This one in particular is torn paper birds using scrap bits of paper. Most of these birds will end up on canvases to be sold over the holidays at the Holiday shows I'm participating in this year. 

What you see so far is torn bits of maps and text pages glued onto light cardstock that I scavenged from the recycle bin. Once the papers were dry, I traced the bird shapes on the back - using my own templates - and cut them out. You can also see the mess surrounding the mat where I'm working.
It's easiest for me to do all this gluing and cutting while watching a movie we checked out from the library. We don't watch regular TV, but have watched a couple of series from A&E and PBS. But I guess I'm one of those who have trouble just sitting and doing nothing but watching the television. Waste of time, of which I have little! Must be doing SOMEthing. Ha! So gluing and cutting it is. 

Another unrelated project on the side of the photo are a group of houses for an accordion book project being done by the local ATC group.  More on that later...
I hesitated doing the accordion book as I have little time to spare, but couldn't resist. These are all on scrapbook paper, so easy peasy. I also traced the houses from my own templates and cut them out out while watching a movie.

Thought I'd share a photo from our recent quick trip to Idaho to see my parents. This view at the top of Whitebird Hill is always wonderful. We usually stop and get out to stretch our legs before beginning the descent... well, if the weather is nice. Which it was. :)



So what's on your workdesk today? Check out what others are doing at Julia's: 


12 comments:

SLScheibe said...

How cool! It's nice to see your process for making those cute little birds. They always look adorable on your canvases.

Unknown said...

I really like the torn paper birds. Anxious to see the finished canvases. The view where the photo was taken is breathtaking. diane #26

Hazel said...

Beautiful landscape in the photo. I love those birds you've cut. Thanks for sharing today. Hope you have a great day and a lovely crafting week to come. Hazel, WOYWW #47 x

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Helen, happy WOYWW...super recycling the with the birds, am interested to see the end project. Great scenic view and a lovely spot to stop for a rest. Cheers enjoy your week RobynO#27

Anonymous said...

These cutout birds are wonderful and I am sure the accordian book will be awesome!
Cheers
Gabriele 16

sandysewin said...

Your birds and owls make me think of the serendipity squares we all were making a few years back. I like them better in cut out shapes. :-)

What a gorgeous view in your bottom photo! We do live in a beautiful land.

Happy Woyww,

Sandy #42

Tertia said...

Love those birds!
Happy WOYWW !
Tertia#38

Elizabeth said...

Those birds are lovely - such a good way of using up maps, book pages and recycling card. The photo taken in Idaho is stunning. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #62

Anne said...

The birds are lovely and what a great idea. Amazing view. Happy WOYWW Anne x #32

Chrysalis said...

I love all those pieces using up scrap card and paper - great idea! And what a stunning landscape. Hugs, Chris # 29

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I love those collaged birds! What a great idea! I might have to borrow it! Zsuzsa #64

I'm a Little Teapot said...

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. I must make some birds! They are just too neat! You clever girl!

Love the view, too.

Thanks for sharing your space and your projects! Have a wonderful week! Hugs, Kathy Jo #41

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...