Tuesday, July 29, 2014

What's in my Studio - Button Sorting

It's been a bit since I joined in with Julia's What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday, so I thought I'd show one of the projects I have going.... button sorting and identifying.
I'm an avid picker at estate sales, and recently bought an old style canning jar filled with old buttons. A treasure trove! I spent a rainy afternoon last week sorting through and matching them up and putting them in little baggies to keep them sorted. I have plans for most of these. 

Some will go in my artwork, some will be listed in my Vintage Shop, and some will be sewn on cards to have at the Home for the Holidays show this coming November. I'm excited about that show in particular, as I'll have my vintage wares there along with vintage themed artwork. 

Today I'm working to identify the unusual ones... aren't these cool? 
There are very few button books at our library and fewer at the used book stores. While some internet searching has been helpful, sometimes you need a bit of a clue to know what exactly to look FOR. A little bit of mystery and one discovery leads to another... it's all part of the adventure. 

Hope your week is going well! Thanks for stopping by!



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beutiful buttons! and oh but I could so use a walk down that shady path in your background. what a lovely spot!

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (5)

Anonymous said...

Beutiful buttons! and oh but I could so use a walk down that shady path in your background. what a lovely spot!

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (5)

CraftygasheadZo said...

Oh I love buttons! Mine are all in little jars. Can't beat a little sort out of them. Take care Zo xx 43

Evalila said...

Hi Helen! I love your button collection :) Happy WOYWW, Evelyn # 79

Lea.H said...

second post i have seen today about buttons. you have some lovely i am a huge button lover too!

Sandie said...

Hello Helen, love those buttons! Thank you for popping by my blog, it is nice to repay the visit and I love your ethos about reuse, recycle. Have a great week.

Sharon Madson said...

Gorgeous buttons! I have gotten a few jars at estate sells to use on cards. Never thought about looking them up or anything like that. Wishing you fun crafting and great adventures in your searches. #28

Julia Dunnit said...

Nice to see you Helen, am super impressed that you're button sorting, mine are all,just jumbled. But I guess if you intend to sell some, they need to be sorted! I was given a silk jacket that had belonged to my grandmother and decided to remove the buttons and use the silk for something else. My husband examined one of the buttons after I'd commented about how old fashioned they were...cleaned one up...solid silver! How amazing!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh, more gorgeous buttons, so many people seem to be doing things with buttons this week.
Hope you have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x #38

glitterandglue said...

What a find! beautiful buttons there. Never thought about books on the subject of buttons - hope you manage to identify those you need to.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...