Friday, April 29, 2011

A walk at Scudder Pond

We took advantage of a break in the rain and took our walk at Scudder Pond yesterday. We've been there a few times this week, weather permitting, and each time ran into Joe, who is president of North Cascades Audubon Society. He is extremely knowledgeable and a fabulous photographer! And he turned us on to the goose on her nest, almost hidden in the cattail rushes. The goslings will hatch any day, so we've been their daily to monitor the progress.

Our first trip this week we saw a pair of eagles (they have a nest in the park), redtail hawk, turkey vultures, redwing blackbirds, a goose on her nest, mallards, a male hooded merganser, a male rufus hummingbird perched on a limb, and song sparrows. Unfortunately, I only had my cell phone, so pictures were not good. Yesterday, however, with regular camera, I got a few decent pictures, and we visited again and learned some camera tricks from Joe. And saw some new baby mallards and their mama traveling across the pond. 

Today we saw papa goose floating among the lily pads a bit away. AND, most exciting, an barred owl nest... we saw feathers but weren't sure if it was the owlets or mama... although I was lucky enough to see one of the adults in flight as we came near the nest tree. I did not get a picture, however... too excited. We'll go back, now that we know where to look. This type of walk a couple of miles from our house, is one of the reasons I love Bellingham.


Mama goose on her nest... with her head up to enjoy the brief sunshine.


Hooded Merganser working his way along the edge of the pond.

Hooded Merganser joins the two mallards who have been busy feeding the entire time we were there.
 
Female red wing blackbird, just before she disappeared into the cattails where she’s nesting.

Male red wing on guard. There are several pair in the pond area, and they are protective of their  area.



Not the best picture, but here's mama and baby mallards making their way along the pond.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am fascinated. Can you take me with you and teach me about the birds?

Helen Campbell said...

Yes indeed. In fact today I was figuring out the shortest way to the owl nest, to bring you and your camera. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen! Love the nature walk post. Babies are so sweet! When you have time, stop by my blog as I have a gift for you at this post: http://robanstudio.blogspot.com/2011/04/thank-you-nicky-for-my-blog-award.html

Hugs xo ~ Rhonda

Carola Bartz said...

How wonderful for you to see all these birds. I love that as well when I walk around our lake. There's a nest of a Great Horned Owl with two little ones - you can find pictures on my blog, if you're interested. It is so facinating to see them grow. I am so grateful that I live in an area where I can witness wildlife.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...